Wednesdays, 7-8:45 pm
FREE Introductory session, September 12
NOTE: simply meditate has moved to Thursdays.
An in-depth study course for everyone, teaching the practices of Kadampa Buddhism. The course will present teachings from Modern Buddhism and other books (Modern Buddhism is available as a free Ebook from Tharpa Publications, and printed copies are available in our shop).
Buddha’s purpose in teaching the people of our world is to lead all of them to permanent freedom from every kind of problem and suffering and to the state of pure and everlasting happiness.
Wisdom and compassion are the two wings that together will “fly” us along the pathway to our supreme potential–the state of an enlightened being. Modern Buddhism teaches us how to follow this path by integrating all of our meditations on wisdom and compassion into our daily lives.
In this course we will gradually and systematically study and practice the wisdom understandings of Buddha. These practices and realizations have been passed in an unbroken lineage from master to disciple, creating an authentic and blessed Buddhist tradition. The great Masters Atisha and Lama Losang Dragpa (Je Tsongkhapa) arranged and presented all of Buddha’s teaching of both sutra and tantra so they could be easily understood and practiced without confusion or seeming contradiction. Now, through the kindness of the living Buddhist meditation master, Geshe Kelsang Gyatso Rinpoche, we have the opportunity to learn and meditate in the same way that thousands of disciples have accomplished liberation and enlightenment in one lifetime.
This course is a systematic study of teachings from Part One of Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso’s book of the same name. Teachings that progress from one class to the next will give depth and clarity to a complete course, enjoyed by a registered group of students. Guided meditations, question-and-answer discussions, and some homework will also be included.
By attending these classes and carrying the wisdom into your daily life, you will accomplish permanent changes in your mind, increasing your happiness, your goodness and your wisdom!
- Attend the Free Introduction or drop-in up to two times to check out the class and then register for the full course of 12 classes (September 19-December 19)
- Read the weekly assigned texts, mostly from Modern Buddhism, before class.
- Attend all the Wednesday evening classes (see below).
Fees and Benefits
- Introductory session, September 12, 2018 FREE for everyone
- Course of 12 classes: $180 or $60/month (includes Regular GP supporting membership privileges)
- You’re welcome to drop-in on up to two classes at $15/class (or use class card/membership) before you decide to register. Drop-in fees can be credited to the registration fee.
- You can register for the course at any time and will receive recordings of the previous classes.
- You can receive a recording of a missed class—just let us know of the absence in advance (in the case of illness, family- or work-related emergencies, and so on). When you register, you can also let us know about classes you won’t be able to attend because of upcoming travel or other commitments.
- FP Supporting Members may attend any class without registering.
- This course is not generally available as a correspondence course, but some exceptions may be possible.
Registration for the $180 option is available on Eventbrite. If you’d prefer the three payments of $60, write to our Administrative Director at email@example.com, who will be happy to help you.
September 12 FREE Introductory class
October 3 No class during NKT International Fall Festival. You’re welcome to attend the Powa Ceremony at the Centre–prayers for those recently deceased
October 10 Offering to the Spiritual Guide–Prayers and Requests with Offering Feast